

For my emulation project, I plan to emulate Gregory Crewdson. I have chosen to emulate Crewdson because of the way he creates his photos. Crewdson uses complex lighting, realistic settings, and well chosen actors. He doesn't just "point and shoot," he takes time staking effort to make create absolute perfection for his photos. He gives a surreal feel to his photos that is truly unique. In Crewdson's photos the environments a full of life and detail but the people seem to not be all there. They are vacant, depressing, and taciturn. The settings are realistic but the subjects give a unworldly aura which is very suspenseful. Crewdson uses lighting to draw attention to the isolation of his subjects from the world around them. For my photos, I plan use lighting as similar as Crewdson as possible. I will also focus on isolation from an in depth world in all of my photos. The setting will most likely be my house, I may use my front porch where i can have an outside view while still being able to use lighting with clip on lamps. I may also use my living room - if I do that i will put more photos and other items to add more depth to the setting. One foreseeable problem with working on the porch will be that the ideal time for taking the photo would be during dusk, which would ony give a sliver of time to take the photos without error. I will set up for the photos using similar ways to Crewdson, but i will make add certain things to the settings to add a touch of my own while still fitting Crewdson's usual parameters. With this style i wish to capture the invisible barriers sometimes put between friends and family. The subjects will be together spatially but they will be divided by their detachment from their surroundings.

This looks good, Zach. As we discussed in class, I think your description of Crewdson's characters is right on; now it's up to you to make your own Crewdson-esque beings!
ReplyDeletePS: Capitalize your "I"s please!